Open: Until Filled
Maintain security of the jail. Receive and secure prisoners until their release. This position is an Emergency Essential position requiring long and unusual shift work during response and recovery phases.
1. Reports to: Shift Corporal, Shift Sergeant.
2. Directs: This is non - supervisory position; however senior Jailers can provide supervision and guidance for newly-hired Jailers.
3. Other: Has contact with other department employees, other law enforcement agencies, inmates, and general public.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES/Examples of Work
• Responsible for transporting or moving prisoners;
• Oversee and maintain cleanliness of the pods
• Hand out departmental and inmate forms as requested;
• Receive and deliver inmate mail;
• Supply inmates with essential hygiene supplies;
• Deliver food trays to inmates;
• Assist departmental medical personnel with medications;
• Under supervision of shift sergeant, receive bail bonds, cash bail, and fines;
• Process inmate pictures and fingerprints;
• Supervise visitations by approved visitors, attorneys, religious volunteers, etc.;
• Perform searches of inmates and cells;
• Post, maintain, and enforce inmate regulations;
• Maintain uniforms & equipment and meet departmental standards at all times;
• Respond to other duties as assigned.
• Participate in emergency and evacuation drills;
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• Possess High school diploma or GED;
• Pass an oral interview board, psychological interview furnished by the department and a medical, UA screening, and criminal background check furnished by the department;
• Possess valid Texas DL and SSN Card valid for employment. Must be US Citizen;
• Prior Military shall provide an honorable discharge form;
• Must obtain permanent Jailer license through TCOLE within a year of awarding temporary license;
• Prior licensed Jailers shall have their license current prior to hire;
PHYSICAL & ENVIRONMENTAL REQUIREMENTS
The physical demands and environmental factors listed below are essential functions for this position;
• Able to walk 5 miles;
• Lift 40 lbs.;
• Able to be activated as essential personnel in case of emergency or disaster;
• Per Texas Administrative Code all Jailers shall assist in any emergency and evacuation and participate in emergency and SCBA (Air Pack) drills, no less than every calendar quarter. Emergency and drills are performed with regular size Fire Department SCBA (Air Pack);
• Mandatory requirement for a TCOLE license is successful passing of TEEX correctional physical skills;
• All Jailers are required to maintain peace of the facility and shall participate in riot control if occurred;
• These requirements shall be maintained during the course of the employment as a Jailer.