Aransas County JP1
2840 HIGHWAY 35 N
ROCKPORT, TX 78382-5711
Phone: (361) 790-0130
Fax: (361) 790-5402
Electronic Hearings By Zoom
Viewable on YouTube, Watch Here
IMPORTANT NOTICE MUST READ:
AVISO IMPORTANTE PORFAVOR DE LEER:
Due to health and safety concerns regarding coronavirus (COVID-19), Justice of the Peace PCT. 1 will be operating with limited operations until further notice.
Debido a preocupaciones de salud y seguridad del coronavirus (COVID-19), El Juez de las Paz Pct. 1 estara operando con operaciones limitadas hasta Nuevo aviso.
Minimum Standard Health Protocols have been enacted for the Justice, County, County Court at Law, and District Courts Serving Aransas, Bee, Live Oak, McMullen, and San Patricio Counties; click here for more details.
- All non-essential court proceedings will now be done via ZOOM Hearing until further notice.
- Todos los procedimientos judiciales no esenciales ahora se realizarán a través de la audiencia ZOOM hasta nuevo aviso.
- All evictions (commercial and residential) will be done via ZOOM Hearing until further notice.
- Todos los desalojos (comerciales y residenciales) se realizarán a través de ZOOM Hearing hasta nuevo aviso.
- Class C ticket appearances will be done via ZOOM meeting hearings only, until further notice.
- Las multas Clase C se realizarán a través de la audiencia ZOOM únicamente, hasta nuevo aviso.
- No warrants for failing to appear to court for traffic tickets will be issued until September 30, 2020.
- No se emitirán órdenes judiciales por no comparecer ante el tribunal por multas de tráfico hasta el 30 de septiembre de 2020.
The justice of the peace is the legal jurisdiction closest to the average citizen.
Section 19 of Article 5 of the Texas Constitution provides that: justice of the peace courts have original jurisdiction in criminal matters of misdemeanor cases punishable by fine only and such other jurisdiction as may be provided by law. Original jurisdiction is the authority to accept a case at its inception, try it and pass judgment based upon the laws and facts. This is distinguished from appellate jurisdiction which is jurisdiction to review a court's action. The justice of the peace performs the functions of a magistrate and conducts inquests.
A justice of the peace may issue warrants for search and arrest, conduct preliminary hearings, administers oaths, perform marriages and serve as a coroner in counties where there is no provision for a medical examiner. The justice court also functions as a small claims court in civil matters in which exclusive jurisdiction is not in district or county court and the amount in controversy does not exceed $10,000. They can also deal with matters concerning foreclosure of mortgages and enforcement of liens on personal property.
THIS COURT OFFERS YOU A "SAFE HARBOR" TO TURN YOURSELF IN ON CLASS C WARRANTS ISSUED BY THIS COURT:
Before the passage of Senate Bill 1913, in order to promote justice, ensure due process and the equal treatment of all persons, some of whom may be indigent or facing financial hardships, and to help clear outstanding arrest warrants and capiases, this court instituted a policy that it will not arrest or jail any person who voluntarily surrenders themselves to this court on warrants issued by our court, if you make a good-faith effort to resolve the case before you are arrested and the warrant is executed. In other words, if you have active Class C misdemeanor warrants issued by this court and you voluntarily come in to court YOU WILL NOT BE ARRESTED, THE WARRANT(S) WILL BE RECALLED, AND YOU WILL BE GIVEN A COURT DATE TO SPEAK TO THE JUDGE ABOUT YOUR CASE, WITHOUT FEAR OF BEING ARRESTED.
JP1 - Jury Duty Information
No jury duty information is available.
Click Here For The Jury Duty Information Page